RTOG 0825 Avastin trial for newly diagnosed GBM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTOG 0825 Avastin trial for newly diagnosed GBM

The study was completed maybe 7 years ago. The general conclusions agreed with a similar European study. The treatment didn't increase overall survival, but did increase Progression Free Survival from ~ 7 month to ~ 14 months. The studies disagreed as to whether Avastin decreased mental function (but measured it in different ways). It was claimed that the two studies would be compared and their results rationalized. Did that ever happen?
    As a result, Avastin for newly diagnosed GBM has never been submitted for approval. I agree that the improvements are minor, but IMHO more life without recurrence is a worthwhile outcome (especially given the lack of newer, better, treatments, other than perhaps Optune, which could be used at the same time).
    My late wife was in the trial, did get Avastin, and her response was pretty much the median of the reported outcomes. We did a lot together before her recurrence, but did very little other than struggle with the GBM after the recurrence.
    Did I miss some advances in the use of Avastin for GBM?

That was a very flawed trial. Most people in the control group wound up getting avastin at the time of recurrence. So it was successful for progression free survival, but when it got to comparing people who took avastin to people who took avastin, as far as overall survival, there was no difference. Hate to say but I think the DCVAX trial is going to have a similiar problem. Most people in the control group also got DCVAX.

Comment

Originally posted by musella View Post
      That was a very flawed trial. Most people in the control group wound up getting avastin at the time of recurrence. So it was successful for progression free survival, but when it got to comparing people who took avastin to people who took avastin, as far as overall survival, there was no difference. Hate to say but I think the DCVAX trial is going to have a similiar problem. Most people in the control group also got DCVAX.
      So when are meaningful results for the DCVAX trial expected? My late wife was accepted into the DCVAX trial when she was diagnosed in early 2013, but after even going through the initial resection, temodar, the leukopherisis (sp?) and 30 radiation treatments, she didn't complete her very last radiation treatment (#31) and was dropped from the trial (even though I pleaded with anyone who would listen). I always wonder... if only she had stayed on the trial. Anyway... she had a recurrence in 2014 and a second resection, but the folks at MD Anderson, Moffitt Cancer Center, Florida Hospital Orlando, Univ of Miami and Florida Cancer center couldn't help her. Lost her 26 months after diagnosis in 2015.

I have always felt that I failed her somehow by not convincing her to undergo that one last radiation treatment and stay on the DCVAX trial...

Comment

I feel so bad about that.. Missing by 1 day of treatment. The worst part is they already probably made the vaccine for her and it was just sitting in a freezer. What a waste. Too bad she couldn't get it on compassionate use outside of the trial since it was already made and they can't use it for anyone else. In that trial, they made the vaccine for everyone at the start. Then the control group did not get the vaccine, they got placebo injections until they had recurrence. The company wanted to do the right thing and allowed the control group people to cross over even though they knew it would mess up the overall survival read out. I guess they thought the progression free survival would have been a good enough endpoint. So they risked a lot by allowing the cross over but it was the humane thing to do. Hopefully we will get some word at SNO next month - if not the results then at least an indication of when to expect them.

Comment

Working...
        X