Brain Tumor Patients and the COVID-19 Crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brain Tumor Patients and the COVID-19 Crisis

Brain Tumor Patients and the COVID-19 Crisis.

This was presented on 4/5/2020 as part of the Musella Foundation 2020 Brain Tumor Webinar Series. Special guest speaker was Dr Eric Wong,

This identifies a few very important things that brain tumor patients should know in the time of this Covid-19 crisis.. for example:

1. You should ask your doctor to check your CD4 and CD8 counts whenever they do blood tests. Watch the video for why!

2. Decadron, Temozolomide and Lomustine will drop your DC4 and CD8 counts, which may make you more prone to a Covid19 infection.

3. The use of Temozolomide for MGMT unmethylated patients is controversial. Most neuro-oncologists use it, and some prefer to try other treatments first. The opinion of this speaker is that the risk / benefit ratio might not be high enough in these times and it might be time to try something else.

Al Musella's Comments: (This is his personal views and are not necessarily the views of the Musella Foundation!)

This is an excellent presentation. I learned a few things I did not know before. I do not think I have ever seen any information on this topic ever before. If you have brain cancer or any other type of cancer, this is a must view.

Comment

I watched it and found it very informative in respects to GBM, COVID19, and CD4.I think the questions asked at the end were questions I would have asked and spot on. However,t it was bothersome he did not know that anti-HIV remedies were researched to show to increase CD4 counts ( ritonavir for one which is used in the CUSP9 protocol ) and he was unable to answer the question of anything interesting in the pipeline for upcoming treatments. I also could not hear his answer what treatment he would use for recurrence.

Overall good information and I agree with getting your CD4 done in your bloodwork.

Comment

As he said, he is a neuro-oncologist, not a infectious disease expert.

Comment

Originally posted by musella View Post
          As he said, he is a neuro-oncologist, not a infectious disease expert.
          I'm confused.

Comment

He doesn't specialize in aids drugs so wasn't familiar with that effect

Comment

Originally posted by musella View Post
              He doesn't specialize in aids drugs so wasn't familiar with that effect
              Sorry but if he is not an expert on infectious diseases then why is he giving seminars on COVID19 which is an infectious disease? The questions you asked were in the field of Oncology, not infectious diseases. I . I just looked up his background. He is a Neurologist, not a Neuro-Oncologist, so I can see what he would be unable to answer cancer-related questions now.Thank you for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X